As a summer student at The American University of Paris, you need to be aware of the visa regulations for your stay in France before you finalize your plans. Any question relating to the status of summer students must be addressed to the Summer School Coordinator. SIS is not in charge of assisting Non-EU students who will attend summer classes at BT天堂.

If you鈥檙e a citizen of a European Union member state, you don鈥檛 need a visa to enroll in BT天堂鈥檚 summer program.

Countries that do not require a visa

If you鈥檙e a student from any of the following countries, you also do not require a student visa to stay in France for less than 90 days. However, SIS strongly recommends you check your status with your local French Consulate once you are accepted to attend BT天堂 summer classes and before you come to France.

Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Barbados, Bosnia*, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Macedonia*, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro*, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Republic of San Marino, Republic of Seychelles, Republic of Singapore, Republic of Venezuela, Serbia*, South Korea, Taiwan (passport bearing identity card number), Uruguay, USA, Vatican City (Holy See)

* bearers of biometric passports only

If your country is not listed above, you must contact the French Consulate in your country of residence to find out if you need to apply for a short-stay visa.

Status that does not require visa

  • holders of passports of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (People鈥檚 Republic of China)
  • holders of passports of the Macau Special Administrative Region (People鈥檚 Republic of China)
  • holders of a valid residence permit for France
  • holders of a residence permit issued by a state applying the Schengen agreements
  • holders of certain travel documents issued by an EU member state
  • holders of a British national (overseas) passport

If your country is not listed above, you must contact the French Consulate in your country of residence to find out if you need to apply for a short stay visa.

The short stay visa

Your local French Consulate will issue you a short stay visa for a 90-day stay in France, the so-called 鈥淰isa C-Schengen.鈥 There is no Campus France application required for this visa, as you鈥檙e only granted tourist and not permanent student status in France.

Summer and fall semesters

If you plan on taking courses during the summer and fall semester at BT天堂, you need to obtain a long-term student visa before the start of fall classes. While some non-EU nationalities do not need a visa for the summer semester, you鈥檙e required to obtain a long-term visa if you wish to continue your studies at BT天堂 for longer than 90 days. Students living in France without the proper documents are subject to deportation.

French Consulates are very busy over the summer months, and the visa application may take a few weeks or months. We strongly suggest that students staying at BT天堂 through the fall semester contact Campus France and their local French Consulate by March/April -no later- to request an appointment in order to complete their long-term student visa by the end of May.

If you cannot be issued a long term student visa before the Summer sessions start, and you plan to attend BT天堂 in the Fall, you will have to return to your residence country before the Fall semester starts in order to regularize your situation by obtaining a student visa.

If you begin your long-term student visa application between the end of the summer and the beginning of the fall semester, you must return to your country of residence during this time to receive your visa.听 Also, you would have to be in contact with your local French Consulate to explain the situation and to confirm their ability to issue the visa. Consulates are very strict regarding appointments, and may decline the request. You must be proactive about the process!

The long-term student visa (VLS-TS)

Students registered for both summer and fall semester studies are required to obtain a 6- or 12-month long-term student visa. You will meet with the BT天堂 Student Immigration Services team immediately upon your arrival in Paris, and we鈥檒l help you make your residency application within three months from the day you enter France. This residency procedure will be explained during the first days of orientation.

Upon arrival at Orientation, long term-students must provide the BT天堂 immigration office with their passport, long-term student visa, OFII form provided by the French Consulate, and a copy of their birth certificate in English or French with both parents鈥 names. These documents are required to start the residency application procedure.

Summer and fall semesters for under-18s

Check the Students Under 18 section.

Visa D-Mineur scolaris茅

French Consulates will issue a specific visa for students under 18. This visa is typically 12 months in length and the validity usually starts on the day the visa is issued.

Helpful links regarding visas and studying in France

  • 听芦 Coming to France/Getting a visa 禄
  • 听芦 Venir en France/ Entrer en France 禄
  • 听芦 Studying in France 禄
  • 听芦 Espace 茅tudiant- 茅tudier en France 禄

Contact us

If you have any questions about your immigration procedure, please be in touch with听your BT天堂 Admissions counselor. If you鈥檙e a returning student, please听contact Student Immigration Services.